get started in real estate
Becoming a Licensed Florida Real Estate Agent
4 STEPS TO GETTING STARTED
First, congratulations on taking the initiative to learn about a new career in real estate! Helping people with achieving the American dream of homeownership is one of the most rewarding experiences you can have. Now, before we get the cart too far ahead of the horse you need to get your real estate license. On this page we’ve outlined the four steps you need to take to obtain your real estate license and get started! They are:
The Florida Real Estate Commission requires anyone wishing to become a sales associate in the State of Florida to complete the course FREC-1. This course is 63-hours long and consists of 60-hours of instructional time and a 100-question, multiple-choice end of course exam. To successfully complete this course, students can miss no more than 8-hours of instructional time and must pass the end-of-course exam with a 70% score or higher.
Of course, we offer the 63-hour course here at OneBlue and we’d love to have you join us for one of our upcoming classes!
FINGERPRINTS + APPLICATION
Now that you’ve completed the pre-license education it is time to have your fingerprints scanned by a state-approved vendor for the FBI/FDLE background check. Here are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- Proof of US Citizenship is not required to obtain a Florida real estate license.
- All applicants must possess a valid social security number or taxpayer-identification number (TIN) in order to apply.
- All applicants should ensure that if they have been ordered by a court to pay child support that those payments are current. Delinquent child support payments could result in a denial of your application.
- If you have a criminal background, you will need to disclose that. It is important to note that having a criminal background or previous convictions does not necessarily preclude you from getting a real estate license. Each application is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
MANDATORY DISCLOSURE ITEMS
When applying for your license, it is important that you are truthful. You will need to disclose the following items:
- Previously been denied a real estate license
- Previously found guilty of a crime
- Have entered a plea of guilty
- Convicted of a crime where adjudication was withheld
- Have entered a plea of nolo contendere
NOTE: If any of the above items apply to you then you will need to obtain the original court records to submit with your real estate license application.
THE STATE EXAM
Your journey to becoming a real estate agent is nearing the end! Once the State of Florida has approved your application you’ll receive an email from the testing vendor, PearsonVue, inviting you to schedule your state exam! To schedule your exam, simply click on the link provided to you in the email from PearsonVue.
Here are a couple of important notes…
- The test is a 100-question, multiple choice exam.
- You will have 3.5-hours to complete the exam.
- The passing score is 75%.
- If you pass, you will only be told that you passed. They do not have access to the scores if you achieved a 75%-100% score.
- If you did not pass, you will be given a breakdown of all 19-sections with how many questions you missed in each section.
- There is no limit to the number of times you can take the state exam.
JOIN A BROKERAGE
Congratulations on passing the state exam! The final step in your journey is to select a real estate brokerage. There are many real estate brokerages offering various compensation models, training, support and technology. Picking the right brokerage is the most important decision you will be making and is the very foundation of your future career as a real estate agent.
INDEPENDENT OR BRAND
One of the first considerations you need to think about is whether you should join an independent brokerage or a major brand brokerage. As a newly licensed agent you need instant credibility and that is something that you can only get with a globally recognized brand like Century 21. Century 21 has been held the title as the most recognized and trusted name in real estate for more than two-decades… and that’s the type of credibility you need on your side to help you launch your business.
21 JUMP START
Our sister company, CENTURY 21 OneBlue, is pleased to offer an exclusive new agent training program called 21 Jump Start. This exclusive program is designed to take a newly licensed agent from rookie to top producer in 121-days. You’ll be given all the resources you need and taught all the same techniques that our founder Kevin Johnson used to earn $107,000 in his first 90-days as an agent.